Pages

The View from My Kitchen

Benvenuti! I hope you enjoy il panorama dalla mia cucina Italiana -- "the view from my Italian kitchen,"-- where I indulge my passion for Italian food and cooking. From here, I share some thoughts and ideas on food, as well as recipes and restaurant reviews, notes on travel, a few garnishes from a lifetime in the entertainment industry, and an occasional rant on life in general..

You can help by becoming a follower. I'd really like to know who you are and what your thoughts are on what I'm doing. Every great leader needs followers and if I am ever to achieve my goal of becoming the next great leader of the Italian culinary world :-) I need followers!

Grazie mille!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Recipe: Fondant Potatoes

This is a super simple, super tasty side dish that is, for some reason, almost unheard of in the States, but is very common on European menus. Since I put it on the dinner menu, my in-laws hardly ever let me make any other kind of potato dish anymore.

FONDANT POTATOES

This recipe will produce a flavorful potato that has a lightly crisp exterior and a tender, flaky interior.

4 medium potatoes (a firm-textured red-skinned roasting potato is best)
2 cups chicken stock or broth
olive oil
unsalted butter
salt
pepper
thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Peel potatoes and cut in half lengthwise, making sure to cut to equal size to ensure even cooking.

Place a heavy roasting or baking pan on a burner over medium heat. (I sometimes use a cast iron skillet for small batches.) Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and bring to temperature.

Add the potatoes, cut side down. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 or 2 tbsp of butter and cook until lightly golden brown; turn, and season the other side with salt and pepper.

Add the chicken stock to a level that just reaches under the potato. Too much liquid will produce watery results. Sprinkle with thyme, if desired.

Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender. A knife or fork inserted into the potato should easily penetrate it. If it hangs up even a little, allow a little more cook time.

Remove from the oven and plate immediately.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment