Pages

The View from My Kitchen

Benvenuti! I hope you enjoy il panorama dalla mia cucina Italiana -- "the view from my Italian kitchen,"-- where I indulge my passion for Italian food and cooking. From here, I share some thoughts and ideas on food, as well as recipes and restaurant reviews, notes on travel, a few garnishes from a lifetime in the entertainment industry, and an occasional rant on life in general..

You can help by becoming a follower. I'd really like to know who you are and what your thoughts are on what I'm doing. Every great leader needs followers and if I am ever to achieve my goal of becoming the next great leader of the Italian culinary world :-) I need followers!

Grazie mille!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Labelwatch.com Is Definitely Worth A Look

I just stumbled upon a "new" website I thought I'd share; Labelwatch.com.

Judging from the fine print at the bottom of the home page, Labelwatch is not really "new." It's copyrighted 2007. But it's new to me and I've already added it to my favorites. (I've also added a link from this blog and you can get there from here: http://labelwatch.com/index.php)

As much as I advocate fresh food and cooking from scratch, everybody winds up using canned and packaged goods at some point for some things. And that's where Labelwatch is such a boon. There are a couple of features that you may or may not be interested in, i.e. the "Smart Living," "Smart Shopping," and "Smart Recipes" tabs, although there's some good information there. What I found most useful were the "Product Comparison" and "Glossary" areas.

"Product Comparison" gives you the lowdown on labels. You can search a variety of categories, such as "Canned Soups/Meals," and find label information on ingredients and nutritional values of most major brands. For example, I chose "Ingredients" and entered "Campbell's" in the search box. I got the ingredient labels for a hundred Campbell's products ranging from broths and soups through Spaghetti-Os.

The "Glossary" tab is an indispensible tool. Ever wonder what "Acetylated Mono and Diglycerides" are? Or "L-glutamic Acid"? Or "Agar Gum"? It's all there, with easy definitions and descriptions as well as color-coded categories advising whether the ingredient is "Beneficial," "OK," or "Cautionary."

Check it out today. It'll be bookmarked in your "Favorites" too.


No comments:

Post a Comment