Pages

The View from My Kitchen

Benvenuti! I hope you enjoy il panorama dalla mia cucina Italiana -- "the view from my Italian kitchen,"-- where I indulge my passion for Italian food and cooking. From here, I share some thoughts and ideas on food, as well as recipes and restaurant reviews, notes on travel, a few garnishes from a lifetime in the entertainment industry, and an occasional rant on life in general..

You can help by becoming a follower. I'd really like to know who you are and what your thoughts are on what I'm doing. Every great leader needs followers and if I am ever to achieve my goal of becoming the next great leader of the Italian culinary world :-) I need followers!

Grazie mille!

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Pizza Perfume?


I Love the Smell of Pizza in the Morning – And Now I Can Have It


One of the best things about going to get bacon at Allan Benton's place in Madisonville, Tennessee is that after spending five minutes inside Benton's Smoky Mountain Country Hams, everything I'm wearing smells like hickory-smoked bacon. The scent follows me into my car and, with a few pounds of porky ambrosia sitting in a paper bag in the back seat, I can enjoy the heady aroma for hours and hours. The wonderful scent permeates the fabric of the car seats and I can still detect it the next day. I've always wished I could have the same experience with pizza, and now, thanks to modern chemistry, I can. The folks at Demeter Fragrance Library have come up with pizza perfume.

The company's website (http://www.demeterfragrance.com/773364/products/Pizza.html) describes the new creation, which they admit is a “departure” even for them, as “tomato sauce, creamy mozzarella, a touch of oregano – perfectly balanced for the adventurous.” You can buy it in various sizes of spray bottles. It also comes in a body lotion, a shower gel, a massage and body oil, and as a roll on perfume. I'll take one of each, please.

The jury's still out on whether or not this is a product that mankind really needs. Some testers call it “intoxicating” and some describe it as “off-putting.” Others say it smells exactly like the inside of a pizza box and that it makes you constantly think about pizza – not that I need any help in that department. The only time I'm not thinking about pizza is when I'm thinking about bacon.

As of this writing, the new fragrance is only available through Demeter's website and it's reasonably priced, with a half-ounce mini splash going for just $6 and a one-ounce spray selling for $10. If you really like it, you can buy four ounces for $39.50. But rumor has it that the product will soon be stocked at a Walgreens near you so you can have instant gratification without all that shipping and handling.

Demeter also features the scents of dandelions, grass, lilacs, clean skin, wet garden, and dirt, among many others. Oddly enough, one of the scents missing from their menu is bacon. Guess I'll have to rely on Benton's for that one. Hmmmm......I wonder if Allan could put it in a bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment